Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday

Welcome to my SSS! For the month of September, I'm highlighting sentences from a short story that released two years ago, a contemporary gay erotica piece called Yesterday's Names. Last week, the distraction Jonathan was searching for culminated in a hook-up with Davide and a sweet good-bye. Now, he's off to Nettuno for the purpose of his visit to Italy, where he is surprised by Davide showing up, to be there since he believes Jonathan needs a friend.

Within two minutes, we were back in the sunshine, a map of the cemetery with the grave I wanted clearly marked in hand.

Not all of the crosses bore names. I tried not to look at them too closely as we walked by, but when we passed the third one with the same inscription, I pulled my glasses off to scrub at my eyes.

Davide immediately stopped. He waited patiently for me to pull myself together, silent and present, the only two things I needed right now.

If I was losing it over, “Here rests in honored glory, a Comrade in Arms, known but to God,” how did I ever think I was going to make it with a grave I actually recognized?


To check out all the other six sentence contributions, head over to the official website.

19 comments:

Clare Davidson said...

A very sad snippet. You really captured the emotion of walking through a military graveyard. Nicely done. I want to know whose grave she's looking for.

Anonymous said...

Very emotional. Well done!

Jessica E. Subject said...

A very sad six! Well written! :)

Unknown said...

Your snippets always pack a punch and this one is particularly powerful. Sweet of Davide to come support him.

Unknown said...

Emotional. I understand this emotion a lot. Nice six.

gemma parkes said...

Very emotive and a powerful description of the cemetry's effect.

Christine Warner said...

Loved the emotion!

sue said...

is he looking for a particular one? he marked it on the map... sad six

J.C. Martin said...

Very interested to find out whose grave they're trying to find.

Kate said...

Incredibly moving, Vivien. Love this six.

Cara McKenna said...

Emotional six—well done.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this so much. I had a similar reaction to the war cemetaries in Normandy. Moving this up my TBR list.

Siobhan Muir said...

Powerful six, Vivien. I really liked the whole flow of it. Nicely done. :)

Sue Ann Bowling said...

Yes, this brougt back the PBS program on the Civil War dead and the recognition that the government had some responsibility to keep track of soldiers--but it isn't always possible. Very emotional. (And I hope the cpatcha doesn't defeat me this week; I give up after a couple of tries.)

Anonymous said...

Oh my. So much emotion and description in here. Very moving.

Layna Pimentel said...

Very heartfelt. Well done!

Veronica Scott said...

So much emotion, glad Davide is there to support him. Excellent, very emotional six.

Anonymous said...

Touching and beautifully written, Vivien. Thanks.

Sarah Ballance said...

Poignant and emotional. You've captured this moment beautifully!