Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Vitamin sunlight

While part of my taking charge of my health has been eating better and exercising, another part involved getting myself checked out by a rheumatologist. Arthritis hits the women in my family hard, so I want to be prepared. I'd been having aches and pains in my joints for a few months, so it seemed like a natural step.

What the doctor discovered was that I had a severe vitamin D deficiency, something that apparently is on the rise in the US. I was put on a supplement to try and get my levels into a healthy range.

I don't know if that's happened yet. I get my blood checked again in December. But I do know that it's working. It's almost amazing how different I feel (when I'm not suffering from a cold and an ear infection, that is, lol). I'm sleeping better and less. I have more energy throughout the day. Most of my aches and pains are gone.

This week, I discovered another bonus side effect. I had a hair appointment on Tuesday, and the second I sat down in the chair, my stylist--who I've been seeing for two years now--said, "What have you been using on your hair?"

Now, I knew my hair was growing faster. I'd figured that part out on my own. But apparently, it's also getting thicker, enough so that she knew before she ever laid on a finger on me. Because I've changed nothing in my routines except for that vitamin D.

Honestly? Figuring out and addressing this deficiency has been the best thing that's happened to me in a long time. Who knew it could create such problems?

0 comments: