Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sweeter m/m romances

When I wrote A Simple Charm, I knew it wasn't going to be like a lot of my other stories. First of all, I wouldn't classify it as erotic romance. There are two intimate scenes, and yes, the language can get graphic, but in regards to how erotic material usually plays out in m/m, it's very innocent.

Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

There's no doubt about it. Sex sells. Sweeter romances don't usually do very well in the e-market, though I have hopes of that changing now that the market has expanded. But to add more sex, or kink it up, for this particular story would've done it a huge disservice. One of the heroes is a twenty-year-old virgin in middle America during the Great Depression. It's just not realistic for him to turn into a slut overnight, and, at the end of the day, I'd rather be true to the story than try to add elements in hopes that it'll sell more copies.

But it wasn't an easy choice. I write stories in hopes that people will read them. Anybody pursuing publication does. If I'd added more sex, though, it would've changed the tone of the story. It would've colored an innocent young man in a different light. I couldn't do that to Levi, no matter what else I might want.

It's the same trap I fall into because of my inability to brand myself. I write about people finding each other. Sometimes they're two men. Sometimes they're a man and a woman.

And sometimes, their story is more sweet than erotic. And that's okay by me.

Besides, we need more sweet m/m romances in this world. Do you have any favorites?

1 comments:

ELF said...

I have only been reading m/m for the past few months, but have been impressed with MOST of the ones I have read...and we definitely need more sweet stories in the world to leaven the horrors we are experiencing in reality! I have recently begun reading Tara Lain's 'Balls to the Wall' stories...and although they definitely have a spice factor, they also have very sweet romance in them so they have been very enjoyable.