Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

James Spader and The Blacklist

I am a HUGE James Spader fan. I have been since Pretty in Pink. So watching his new show this fall? Pretty much a done deal.

Even better is that I loved it.

Spader is one of those actors you either love or hate. The intelligent disdain he brings to most of his roles can put people off, but that's precisely one of the aspects of him I adore. His characters' intelligence always masks something deeper - anger, sexual dysfunction, insecurity - and it's that depth that always intrigues me. Plus, his timing is impeccable. He's capable of delivering the lengthiest, wordiest speeches, and nailing the point every single time. His monologues on Boston Legal are proof of that.

This promises more of the same. We've only received hints of what lies beneath that exterior, and the notion that nothing is as it seems is inherent to everything Spader has always done as a performer. I'm excited about where it might go for future episodes.

Because how can I not love the man who was in Secretary? sex, lies, and videotape? The man who delivered all those amazing monologues as Alan Shore?

Which reminds me, maybe it's time for a Boston Legal marathon. It's been too long since I watched it.

1 comments:

Carla Krae said...

It was really good. He said in an interview on The Today Show that they're filming ep 5 now and it's still good, still keeping everyone guessing.