Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Update on my Reading Bingo Challenge

My reading challenge for 2014 is going pretty good so far. I tasked myself to read 52 books this year, one a week, which works well for me because that gives me a cushion if I end up having a string of DNFs. So far, I've read 13, eight (or nine, if I use my free space) of which I can mark off on my Reading Bingo Challenge.


The books/squares I can cross off:

A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas – non-fiction
600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster – Number in the title
Origin by Jennifer Armentrout – one-word title
Nor Iron Bars a Cage by Kaje Harper – heard about online
Vertigo by M.L. Rhodes – non-human characters
Picture This by Michelle L. Levigne – female author
Best New Romantic Fantasy 2 edited by Paula Guran – short stories
Rose, Exposed by Afton Locke – second book in a series
This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith –  free space

I wrote a review of A Three Dog Life after I read it, but the other real standout for me was Nor Iron Bars a Cage. I think Kaje is one of the most talented m/m authors publishing today, and this story is a long (over 100k), wonderful m/m high fantasy with some great world-building. Even better, it's a freebie so you have no excuses not to try it. She wrote it for a Goodreads giveaway, and it's stunning what she managed to accomplish in the short time she had to write it. Her prose is lyrical without losing accessibility, and the characters in this are three-dimensional and glorious. A real angsty, slow burn. Highly recommend.

0 comments: