Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Kyle MacLachlan Confirmed

Yesterday, Entertainment Weekly confirmed that Kyle MacLachlan is definitely returning as Dale Cooper in the Twin Peaks relaunch/reboot/whatever it's going to be, coming in 2016. I can't even tell you how excited I am about this. I mean, I never really believed David Lynch would do it if he wasn't sure he could have MacLachlan on board. Dale Cooper really was the heart of the show, and without him, even twenty-five years later, there would've been a gap.

But now we don't have to assume. We have confirmation.

I actually rewatched the entire series in December after the first announcement was made. Though I've owned it on DVD for years, I haven't watched it since it first aired. So many surprises this time around. Like how much I actually remembered. And how differently I reacted to certain elements. And how much more meaning I found in so many different things.

I was a huge Dale/Audrey shipper back in the day, and with the beauty of hindsight, discovered why my favorite ship got derailed. Apparently, MacLachlan was dating Lara Flynn Boyle, and there was some discord over his scenes with Sherilyn Fenn and their popularity. So it got written out, and their amazing potential was never realized. Watching it the second time around wasn't quite as exciting, I'll admit. Since my daughter is just about fifteen, I spent the first couple episodes where Audrey is flirting with Cooper--and more importantly, he is letting her--wanting to shake Cooper and say, "She's in high school, you idiot. Stop thinking with your pants!" It cracked me up to hear how many times later on they stressed she was eighteen. I didn't notice that the first time around.

The next fifteen months are going to drive me crazy as news trickles in on who's attached to it. But for me, the most important actor already is. I'll be all right with any and all who come on board after this.

0 comments: